Pediatric Rheumatology is a Pediatric specialty, the main scope of which is the treatment of autoimmune diseases, which mainly affect the joints, muscles, vessels and other organs. Often, the exact cause of these conditions remains unknown. Over the recent years, a better understanding of pathophysiological mechanisms and the discovery of new drugs have radically changed the course of illnesses and the quality of life of patients, however, without scaling down their severity.
A Pediatric Rheumatologist obtains a detailed history and carries out careful clinical examination of the musculoskeletal system combined with the correct evaluation of the extraskeletal findings. Next, he/she directs further research to confirm the diagnosis, often with the collaboration of our laboratory and our Department of Radiology, which features state-of-the-art equipment.
The Department of Rheumatology at IASO Children’s Hospital treats children suffering from:
- juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- juvenile systemic lupus erythematosus
- juvenile dermatomyositis
- autoinflammatory diseases/periodic fever syndromes
- chronic pain syndromes/juvenile fibromyalgia
- Λοιπές παιδορευματολογικές παθήσεις
- other pediatric rheumatic diseases.
Inpatient care is provided for children requiring:
- diagnosis on pediatric rheumatic diseases
- establishment or initiation of a therapeutic regimen and clinical/laboratory monitoring
- newer biological agents that are often administered intravenously