Pediatric Cardiology Department – Cardiac Catheterization LabPediatric Sector
The Pediatric Cardiology Department provides quality services for early diagnosis and comprehensive management of heart conditions in childhood and congenital heart diseases in adulthood.
Equipped with state-of-the-art technology, fully organized and staffed with qualified medical and auxiliary staff,it can successfully address the following needs:
- Diagnosis and treatment of congenital and hereditary heart conditions, cardiac arrhythmias and acquired heart disease in children.
- Detailed prenatal screening and early diagnosis of heart disease in fetal life.
- Diagnosis, management and follow-up of cardiac problems in neonates and children hospitalized for other conditions.
- Pediatric Cardiology support to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
- Pediatric Cardiology support to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU).
- Pediatric Cardiology support to the Cardiac Surgery Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
- Continuous on-call service for Pediatric Cardiology Emergencies.
- Outpatient Pediatric Cardiology Department by appointment.
- Diagnosis, management and follow-up of adults with congenital heart disease (GUCH service).
To meet these needs, the Department runs:
Cardiology Clinic: The Unit combines cardiology and cardiac surgery services in a dedicated ward with 10 beds. It is fully equipped with wireless vital signs monitoring devices, central oxygen supply, continuous intravenous infusion pumps ECG machine and recorder, defibrillator and external cardiac pacing device.The Unit combines cardiology and cardiac surgery services in a dedicated ward with 10 beds. It is fully equipped with wireless vital signs monitoring devices, central oxygen supply, continuous intravenous infusion pumps ECG machine and recorder, defibrillator and external cardiac pacing device.
2. Catheterization Laboratory: It performs diagnostic and interventional vein/artery catheterizations and pacemaker insertions.
The lab is fully equipped with state-of-the-art instruments:
- Latest technology digital angiography system with high-speed (50frames/sec) and analysis (1920x1080px) 3D rotational retracted angiography device, which can be connected to the department’s portable 3D echocardiography machine for simultaneous and additional imaging technology.
- Anesthetic tower suitable for all ages (from low birth weight neonates to adults).
- Blood gas machine, defibrillator, pacemaker.
- Portable monitors for non-invasive/invasive vital signs monitoring.
- Digital imaging analysis tower that performs accurate measurements, and stores and transmits all the results.
- Hosting of ECMO support possible, for performing hybrid (cardiology and cardiac surgery) procedures
3. Echo Laboratory: It performs fetal, transthoracic, stress and transoesophageal echocardiograms. The lab is equipped with 3 echo machines (one 3D and two portable ones). All the machines are connected to the central digital back-up system of the hospital where the images are stored for all patients in their dedicated electronic file.
4. Arrhythmia Laboratory: It performs ECG and BP recordings (Holter devices), along with stress tests, tilt tests and pacemaker adjustments. The Lab has 3 portable ECG recording devices and is fully equipped (pacemaker and defibrillator) for performing safe treadmill stress tests.
5. Cardiac MRI and Chest CT Department: In partnership with the Hospital’s Radiology Department.
6. Outpatient Clinic: It operates on weekdays, in the mornings and afternoons.
The medical and auxiliary staff of IASO Children’s Hospital offer a range of dedicated healthcare services, ensuring reliability, speed, comfort and respect of young patients.