The Gastroenterology Department is run on a daily basis by highly experienced Pediatric Gastroenterologists who treat pediatric patients with gastrointestinal symptoms.
The Gastroenterology Department provides the highest quality of medical care and state-of-the-art techniques in the evaluation and treatment of gastrointestinal, liver and nutritional disorders.
The most common gastrointestinal problems in children are:
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Chronic diarrhea
- Chronic abdominal pain
- Ulcerative Colitis - Crohn’s disease
- Food allergy
- Gastritis and peptic ulcer
- Malabsorption syndromes such as coeliac disease and short bowel syndrome
- Intestinal polyps
- Swallowing of foreign body & caustic substances
- Liver and biliary diseases
The Department is fully equipped with state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment to perform all kinds of procedures and special examinations. Most procedures and examinations are carried out at the Outpatient Department or the One Day Clinic.
Namely, the Department can perform:
- 24-hour pH-impedance monitoring to study gastroesophageal reflux
- Esophageal manometry for the diagnosis of esophageal motility disorders
- Rectal manometry for the study of constipation and congenital megacolon
- Upper and lower gastrointestinal endoscopy (gastroscopy-ileocolonoscopy)
- Small bowel capsule endoscopy
- Endoscopic gastrostomy, esophageal dilation, esophageal varices treatment
- Liver biopsy
- Urea breath test for the detection of Helicobacter pylori
- Breath test to diagnose lactose intolerance
With the parallel support and cooperation of all the departments-primarily the Departments of Pediatric Surgery, Nutrition and Pediatric Allergy-each case is jointly and effectively managed.