Medical ImagingDiagnostic Department
The Department is equipped with the latest digital mammography devices for screening tests and immediate treatment of all clinical findings of the breast.
It is staffed with fully trained auxiliary staff and radiologists with long experience in breast anatomy.
There is very close cooperation with the Breast Center and any abnormal results are discussed with the referring physicians, as well as with the Center’s breast surgeons. The results are available immediately. The options of breast biopsy and hookwire biopsy are also available for the detection of breast lesions.
The Department is equipped with special film-screen mammography software, which, coupled with the radiologist’s reading, complies with the multi-reading regulation. Beyond that, if the patient consents, there are specialists with long experience in breast surgery and a dedicated department for anatomical pathology exams.
Digital Breast Tomosynthesis
The Imaging Department is equipped with the leading internationally Digital Breast Tomosynthesis SELENIA DIMENSIONS 3D by HOLOGIC, which has a range of innovative technical features.
The revolutionary Tomosynthesis method:
- Reduces the false positive or false negative results.
- The Radiologist is able to view every detail, identifying suspicious areas which would be hidden in 2D imaging, significantly benefiting patients with dense breasts.
- The size and extent of the lesion is determined with extreme accuracy, offering significant assistance and credibility to surgeons.
- The diagnostic cancer sensitivity is increased.
- The total dose and exam duration of a full breast check-up is significantly decreased (just 3.6 sec per image instead of 25 sec with other devices).
- Reconstruction of tomosynthesis images is performed in 1mm slices.
One of the main advantages of the new mammography device is the TOMO HD software, which is the only one available in Southern Greece. This software allows tomosynthesis and mammography simultaneously, and the patient undergoes a single dose of mammography.
Nowadays, if the patient undergoes Mammography (2D) and Tomosysnthesis (3D) separately, she will receive a double dose.
Based on the most recently published scientific studies, combining 2D and 3D digital mammography ensures:
- 40% increase in the detection of invasive cancer
- 27% increase in the detection of cancer (invasive and non-invasive)
- 15% reduction in false positive results
Note that according to the latest guidelines,
all patients with dense breasts should undergo digital breast tomosynthesis or mammography with the TOMO HD system, with all the advantages listed above.