Pediatric Cardiac Surgery-Pediatric Cardiac ClinicSurgical Sector
- The internationally renowned Professor Afksentios Kalagos, Director of the Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Clinic where, with the assistance of a team of specialized medical colleagues, he reinforces the high-quality services provided for the treatment of congenital and acquired heart diseases. The goal is the best possible result for children’s health, with the greatest possible safety and the best results immediately and over time.
- It constitutes a Center of Reference both in Greece and abroad.
- It is a specialized Center, staffed by renowned and highly specialized physicians, headed by Afksentios Kalagos and operated by highly specialized technical and nursing personnel to ensure the safe management and completion of any kind of pediatric cardiac surgery procedure, even in very low-birth-weight neonates.
- The Pediatric Cardiac Surgery and Pediatric Cardiology Department have excellent technological infrastructure and organization, as well as specialized medical and nursing staff. Furthermore, the specially configured operating room for the realization of the entire spectrum of pediatric cardiac surgery operations. The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit has all the required modern medical technological equipment to provide specialized and comprehensive support for patients of all departments.
- The Center has a Scientific Council comprising all related medical specialties physicians to care for the individualized therapeutic strategy for each young patient.
- The Center accommodates:
- Outpatient Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Pediatric Cardiology and Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesiology Clinic. It operates on a 24/7 basis and is staffed by specialized and experienced medical and nursing practitioners. The entire staff cooperates
for the accurate diagnosis and optimum treatment of any kind of pediatric cardiology or pediatric cardiac surgery condition, within the framework of comprehensive perioperative (preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative) monitoring and
treatment of young patients.
The Clinic accommodates cutting-edge medical equipment, such as real time 3D Cardiac Ultrasound -the latest generation of echocardiography scanners-, Stress test-Ergospiromtery, Cardiac CT- & MRI-scanning, Department of Arrhythmias and Pacemakers, etc.
- Hemodynamics, Angiography & Electrophysiology Laboratory, headed by Pediatric Cardiologist Dr. G. Tsaousis. The entire range of applicable diagnostic and interventional procedures is conducted, using the latest equipment of Hemodynamic
Control and Cardiac Cineangiography, including 3D Angiography, which limits radiation exposure for children to minimum.
The Hemodynamics Laboratory has been ab initio designed, planned and fully equipped also as a Hybrid Operating Room, providing the ability of combined cardiologic and pediatric cardiac surgical management of complex diseases.
- Pediatric cardiac surgery Operating Room, specially designed for the exclusive performance of all kinds of pediatric cardiac surgery procedures. It is staffed by the specialized and highly experienced Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Team of Professor Afksentios Kalagos (Pediatric Cardiac Surgeons, Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesiologist, Perfusionist and specialized nurses). The Operating Room is equipped with state-of-the-art medical equipment, such as Cardiac anesthesia and Perfusion system, transoesophageal
echocardiography, etc, all of which are appropriately adjusted to the needs of young cardiac sufferers and especially neonates.
It operates on the strictest international standards set by the European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery – EACTS and American Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery – AATS, as well by the safety protocols drawn up by Professor Afksentios Kalagos , following his multiannual experience in major University Cardiac Surgery Centers in the USA.
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (ICU), specialized in the hospitalization of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery patients. The Unit us staffed by experienced and highly specialized
medical and nursing practitioners. It is fully equipped with the necessary systems for the monitoring and support of vital functions in pediatric patients and especially pediatric cardiac surgery patients of all ages, including pre-term low-birth-weight
The most modern types of bloodless or fully interventional monitoring of the functions of all body organs and systems; focus is placed on cardiopulmonary monitoring and support.
Our young patients are hospitalized in a strictly aseptic environment (applied also to the special hospitalization-negative pressure isolation patient rooms), for the prevention of infections. The Unit’s special equipment also includes mechanical circulatory support systems (artificial heart-lung machine, ECMO type), which have long been planned and established in Greece by Professor Afksentios Kalagos and his team. In the Pediatric Cardiac Surgery ICU, highly specialized clinical therapeutic protocols are applied, which have been drawn up by the team of Professor Afksentios Kalagos, aiming at the safest possible hospitalization of children and the achievement of their full recovery, even in complex cases.
- Pediatric Cardiac Surgery and Pediatric Cardiology Patient Rooms. They are equipped with sophisticated safety equipment, such as continuous 24-hour recording of Oximetry and Heart rate, through a system of remote data transmission (telemetry) in a central recording and monitoring station. Our fully committed and highly experienced nursing staff, in cooperation with the entire medical team, also cares for the best psychology both in young patients and their parents.
All pediatric interventional procedures (e.g. everyday care, blood samplings, etc) are conducted in a separate, specially designed room, to make sure children do not suffer from distress during their stay in their room.
It is quite significant that the specialized physicians of every pediatric pathology or surgery subspecialty are immediately available, in order to deal with any non cardiac surgery or cardiac issue, which may develop during hospitalization.