GastroenterologyInternal Medicine Clinics
Gastric Botox, the new non-invasive weight loss method with immediate effect
Gastric Botox is a modern, innovative, safe, economical, and effective non-invasive weight loss method, performed by the specialised medical team of the 2nd Gastroenterology - Hepatology Department of IASO General Clinic. It relies on the endoscopic innovation of injecting botulinum toxin type A onto various sites of the gastric mucosa. This toxin causes a reduction in gastric motility and a drop in the hormones controlling appetite; as a result, within 24 to 48 hours of the operation, hunger is delayed, and the patient experiences prolonged satiety.
- Overweight patients with a BMI of 25 - 29.9
- Obese patients with a BMI > 30, who do not wish to undergo invasive surgery
- Obese patients with a BMI > 40, who cannot currently undergo surgery (in preparation for said surgery)
- Patients already subjected to bariatric surgery who have regained weight
- Cases where weight loss is urgently needed, for health or cosmetic reasons, for instance after a pregnancy, in menopause, to treat thyroid disorders, quitting smoking, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, or for people who gained a lot of weight, e.g. during lock downs.
It is performed via gastroscopy, under anesthesia (sedation), it is short in duration (approx. 30 minutes), does not require hospitalization, is well tolerated by the vast majority of patients, and does not require abstinence from everyday activities. The programme lasts from 4 to 6 months, and includes monitoring by the medical team and dietary guidance.
The average weight loss accomplished ranges from 8kg to 20 kg. However, patients who combine gastric Botox with a proper diet and exercise regime can lose even more weight.
Gastroscopy is performed in the state-of-the-art Endoscopy Unit of IASO General Clinic, using high definition, high-tech endoscopes. We use the new endoscopy software involving Artificial Intelligence, which makes us one of the pioneers in Greece and in Europe using this cutting-edge technology.
Advantages: Non-surgical method which does not disturb gastric anatomy, requiring no hospitalization, with no complications and side effects. It causes a reversible reduction in the feeling of hunger, by administering a medication which does not enter the bloodstream. Patients are able to resume their regular activities on the same day.