3rd Urology Department and Extracorporeal Shock Wave LithotripsySurgical Clinics
The 3rd Urology Department and Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy Unit of IASO General Clinic deals with all male and female genitourinary diseases, both diagnostically and surgically.
Scope of work:
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- Transurethral incision of prostatic adenoma using bipolar diathermy with TURis system for adenomas ranging from 40 to 160cc
- Transvesical open prostatectomy for adenomas >160cc
- Hydrocele, varicocele, epididymal cysts, short frenulum incision, circumcision, testicular and penile biopsy, thermocautery of penile papules
- Extracorporeal lithotripsy for kidney - ureteral - bladder stones
- Laser ureterolithotripsy for ureteral stones regardless of size
- Nephrolithotripsy using a flexible laser uretero-nephroscope for kidney stones measuring up to 3cm
- Percutaneous nephrolithotripsy for kidney stones measuring >3cm
Urinary system neoplasms
- Kidney and ureter neoplasms
- Open or laparoscopic radical nephrectomy for tumours >4cm
- Open partial nephrectomy for tumours <4cm
- Open or laparoscopic radical nephro-ureterectomy for tumours in the excretory portion of the kidney
- Endoscopic laser removal of minor superficial ureter tumours
- Bladder neoplasms
- Transurethral incision of bladder tumours
- Radical cystectomy for invasive bladder tumours and urinary diversion via ureterostomy, ileostomy, or orthotopic neobladder, depending on the stage of the disease
- Prostatic neoplasms
- Open or laparoscopic radical prostatectomy, preserving neurovascular bundles to help maintain erection and continence
- Testicular and penile neoplasms
- Radical orchidectomy, with or without testicular prosthesis
- Retroperitoneal lymph node clearance in metastatic testicular neoplasm
- Partial penectomy
- Radical penectomy with inguinal lymph node clearance.
- Urethral diverticulum
- Urinary incontinence treatment using tension-free vaginal tape
- Vesicocele treatment using anterior colporrhaphy
- Vesicocele treatment using surgical mesh
- Rectocele treatment using posterior colporrhaphy and perineoplasty
- Open sacral colpopexy using surgical mesh to treat combined vesicocele and prolapsed uterus
- Colpocleisis for cases of neglected prolapse in very old women
- Open or laparoscopic pyeloplasty for the treatment of congenital ureteropelvic junction stenosis
- Urinary incontinence treatment in males using artificial urinary sphincter
- Urinary incontinence treatment in males using male sling
- Hydraulic penile prosthesis to treat severe erectile dysfunction
- Corpora cavernosa plastic surgery to treat penile curvature
- Vesicovaginal fistula treatment following hysterectomy
- Ureterovaginal fistula treatment following hysterectomy
- Ureterovaginal fistula treatment
- Uretero-intestinal fistula treatment in males with grafts
- Urethroplasty using end-to-end anastomosis of the urethra
- Urethroplasty using oral graft
- Permanent perineal urethrostomy
- Two-stage urethroplasty
The whole range of medical technological equipment of IASO General Clinic is at the disposal of the Urology Department, which enables us to provide all of our patients with the most advanced and efficient health services.
EXTRACORPOREAL SHOCK WAVE LITHOTRIPSY DEPARTMENT
We have created an ultra-modern department for treating urinary lithiasis, using the state-of-the-art extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy system Modulith SLX F2 >>CONNECT<<.
Urolithiasis is one of the most common diseases of the urinary tract.
The risk of developing symptomatic lithiasis has been estimated at 10-12% on average.
The women-to-men ratio is 3:1, while the age range is between 20 and 44 years, with the highest prevalence being between 35 and 45 years. The causes of lithiasis beyond heredity can be related to diet and lifestyle in general, with metabolic syndrome (obesity - hypertension, etc.) playing a significant role.
The symptoms include: severe pain, colic, and complications, such as kidney rupture, urinary retention, declining renal function, urinary tract infection – urosepsis.
Up until 1983, there were not many options for the treatment of lithiasis other than open surgery. However, with the advent of the procedure of extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, things changed radically.
Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy embodies the concept of non-invasive medical treatment. Through the implementation of the procedure, 80-90% of kidney stones are cured. In the majority of cases one session/treatment is enough, and there is almost no need for painkillers or anesthesia. A short hospital stay is required and success rates are high. IASO General Clinic has developed a state-of-the-art hybrid center for the treatment of urinary tract lithiasis. In a specially designed space, all the modern trends are brought together, both in terms of the functionality of the department and the comfortable and safe treatment of our patients. It is staffed with specialized medical and nursing personnel, providing even complete treatment of lithiasis, both in terms of prevention, diagnosis and monitoring, as well as treatment of the disease. (Medical Council of Lithiasis).
The latest generation Modulith SLX F2 >>CONNECT<< extracorporeal lithotripter, which is the only one in Greece, is the flagship of the department and presents comparative advantages over the obsolete equipment:
- greater focal depth
- large head surface
- advanced stone detection/targeting system with digital analysis of radiological and ultrasound examinations
The treatment is performed without anesthesia and is actually painless. It lasts about 1 hour and the patient returns home the same day. Its preparation requires: light diet, avoidance of carbonated - alcoholic beverages, discontinuation of anticoagulation.
Tests required: urine culture, kidney - ureter - bladder X-ray, ultrasound or CT scan of the kidney - bladder. For those cases that cannot be treated with extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, we provide complete and comprehensive interventional endourological treatment.
For this purpose, the extracorporeal lithotripter bed is transformed into a surgical table, providing the surgical team with all the necessary means to perform any endoscopic operation. Our department is equipped with the most advanced endoscopic equipment (laser system, etc.)
IASO General Clinic has a contract with EOPYY and collaborates with all Greek and the largest foreign insurance companies.