IASO: A pioneer in the Diagnosis of Breast Cancer with the use of Artificial Intelligence Mammography Systems & Stereotactic Biopsy
IASO, the largest Maternity and Gynecology Clinic in Europe, with the biggest Breast Center in Greece, invests in cutting-edge technology in order to offer health services of the highest quality. In this context, it proceeded with the upgrade of the medical technological equipment of breast imaging and specifically of the Mammography Units with Artificial Intelligence for 2D and 3D imaging (Tomosynthesis). In addition, it installed the innovative Core Biopsy stereotactic Biopsy system on its top-quality Tomosynthesis - 3D Mammography System (Hologic Dimensions 3D).
The ProFound AI Artificial Intelligence software is based on the latest deep learning technology, drawing information and data from millions of images of incidents, from more than 30 reference centers around the world and it is the market leader in Artificial Intelligence (AI) for breast health. It has been installed in both of IASO‘s Mammography Units for 2D mammography, as well as Tomosynthesis (3D mammography).
The artificial intelligence Software constitutes a valuable tool for specialized radiologists, with many advantages such as:
1. Improvement of the rate and detection time of breast cancer
2. Even the smallest breast lesion is detected in the most reliable way, with great accuracy and speed
3. The existence of a lesion, its degree of risk and whether it needs further investigation are correctly recognized.
4. Limitation of false negative results and unnecessary patient reassessments
The AffirmTM breast biopsy guidance system, a Core Biopsy stereotactic Biopsy system, is an innovative system which performs biopsies by using the 3D images, even on lesions that are only visible in tomosynthesis images. In addition, it ensures easier detection of lesions, as well as a reduced radiation dose to the patient as fewer exposures are required. At the same time, the procedure time is significantly reduced.
It can be used on women with any type of lesion or abnormal tissue. The system has been developed to meet the challenges of upright breast biopsy and is integrated into our Selenia® Dimensions ® digital mammography system. In general, the procedure is not very painful. There are no breast defects left and unlike surgery, Affirm biopsy does not deform the breast tissue nor makes it difficult to read future mammograms. Recovery time is short and patients can resume their activities soon.
Basic facts in regard to breast cancer:
- Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer related deaths among women worldwide
- Mortality due to breast cancer is 21.5 per 100,000 women each year
- 2.2 million women will be diagnosed with breast cancer by 2025
- 1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer
- Awareness of breast cancer and its early diagnosis is increasing
- The demand for better screening tests and prediction of cancer is increasing
Early diagnosis of breast cancer is the most important parameter for its proper treatment and for the reduction of mortality. IASO possesses all the state-of-the-art diagnostic tools and specialized staff for its early and reliable treatment.